Sunday, November 21, 2010

We Live, We Die

Does it all depend on luck in the end? I've been so positive the past few weeks and because of that a lot of doors have opened up. But I also realised that you can loose everything in a heartbeat. An acquaintance of mine died last week. I didn’t know him well but I knew his father well and used to work with his wife. He was best friends with my cousin. I didn’t expect his death to touch me like it did. I mean the one moment, there he was – happily married, stable job, family who loved him, lots of friends, he was popular, well-known. And in a heartbeat he was gone. He was in the hospital for a week, I think – in a coma. He came out of the coma. He was sent home. Everything seemed fine and the next thing I hear, he’s dead.

Things can change so quickly. Blissfully happy the one moment and heartbroken the next. Is there anything we can do to escape this phenomena? How can we prevent this from happening to us? How can I guarantee that this won’t happen to me?

The thing is you can’t. There’s nothing you can do except appreciate and respect life. Live for the moment. Don’t fear the past or the future. LIVE your life. Be grateful. Embrace it. Roll with the punches. This connects us all. We live and we die.

I know life can be hard sometimes. You may feel like you’re living in hell. But we all have moments of happiness (how brief it may be) – savour it and draw strength from it. It balances out in the end – I believe that. In these times of good fortune, I look back and I am thankful for the times it didn’t go so well because I appreciate today so much more. I have gained more wisdom/life-experience because of it. And when hardship hits me again, I’ll be strong enough to look it straight in the eye and get through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment